Sunday, April 04, 2021

A haircut........ what a blessing hahaha.

 Goodafternoon everybody!

Let me start this post with wishing you all a Happy and Blessed Easter. I can remember Easter time when I was young and my parents were around. Easter was a special holiday for my Mom nd she was busy with it already for days, even weeks. It took time to make the special Russian Easter dish Pascha( made of cottage cheese with lots of sugar, extra cream, boiled egg yellows,raisins, real butter, confit fruit, and a bit of rum) which was all made by hand and through a pass through sieve or is it stirring sieve?), and Koelitch(something like a bread, but with confit fruit, raisins, you could say it is a cake like bread). Pascha took a whole day to make and it is hard work, and then it has to stay in forms for about a week to let go out all the water that still is in the cottage cheese). Koelitsch, well, also a long dayto make and bake. It were busy times in our home and know I always helped my mother with making it. Then in between she was busy painting Easter eggs (with icons on it, really beautiful) that were given to friends on Easter, together with a portion of Pasch and Koelitsch. Every year on the Saturday before Easter Sunday, my father, mother and I took a trip in the car to visit all friends and bring them the Easter gift. It took several hours(here and there we took a cup of tea or coffee, you know) and I always came back home with lots and lots of chocolate eggs, or another little present, specially when I was still very young. 

At that time we also went to the midnight mass in the Russian church and it always gave you a specail feeling. After the mass we first had something to drink there and then coming home we had an early Easter breakfast with all the goodies Mama had made. Oh gosh, memories .... memories, they always stay in your heart.


What about our weather? Well, this week we had almost two opposites. Two, even three days this week we had summertime. There were tmperatures of around 17-22 C, so we could open our gardendoors to let in some sunwarmed air, and it was so nice. Suddenly our tulips rushed to grow and even open up a bit. 

But then aropund Thursday temperatures dropped, wind turned and it was a lot less agreable to be outside. Today we have cloudy weather and temperatures of may be just 10C and later this week we might have some days with even less, kind of 6C and possibility of some wet-snow or may be hail, and with that I am not happy at all. Jan took some of the seedlings inside, because they might not survive the coming nights. I just hope it will be just a short period of cold and that then slowly all will warm up towards Springlike temperatures(or even a bit more, if I am concerned).

It was a quiet week, in which I did some grocerie shopping for this Easter weekend, spread it a bit over several days, and then........................I kind of rewarded myself with a visit to the hairdresser on Friday. Wow, I had so enough of my grown hair, with no model in it at all, all due to lockdown, of course. My hairdresser opend up already I think two weeks ago, but I just waited a bit, to let pass the big storm of appointments, but now I have again short hair easy to handle, and you cannot imagine how happy I am.

As it is Easter, I though I might make us a nice dinner for this evening, and gave it a good though during the week and I came up with this:

We will have fried prawns, they are in the fridge now in a simple marinade of a bit of sunflower oil, salt, pepper, paprikapowder and crushed garlic. It will take just a few minutes to fry them. And I prepared a ovendish with gratin potatoes (the gratin with cream and cheese). I think we will enjoy this evening's dinner. I made a bit lager dish of the potatoes, so we will have enough for tomorrow evening too. I probably will make them a stew with lambmeat. Simple, but tasty.

There are of course lots of days I make less fuss abot dinner, then I just make something that is quick, but still tasty and nourishing, and not every day the same, if possible. (although it is real tempting to make every now and then something that will last for two days, hahaha, and I do so too, don;t get me wrong).

Next week my friend Heidi will move to her new house, and I am not really looking forward to that. I was so used to have her real near, her first house was just at ten minutes walk, the second a bit further away, but with the tram and a short walk also just about 15 minutes away. But this time it will take much longer travel time to visit her, so no more quick passing by to see if she's home, this time we will have to make "appointments". I will get used to it, but somehow it will be slightly different. With the lockdown still going on Jan and will not be able to visit them soon(we are only allowed to one visitor a day, hopeless), but may be next month some relaxation of measures will take place and we will be able to see her new house. Of course I am curious about it.

Next week Jan will have an appointment at his internist, the check-up appointment he has twice a year.  This week he had a bloodtest for it, so I hope all is in good order.

Now this is all I can ramble about, so I better finish this post wishing you all a wonderful Easter day and a good week in safety.

 


2 comments:

hummerdawn said...

Happy Easter to you and Jan. Yes, the crazy weather is still hanging around here also. But this week coming up will be very special warm temps.

It is quiet here in my house for Easter also. My granddaughter work place had someone test positive for the virus so she and here husband don't want to come over so they don't jeopardize me.

I can relate to the haircut. I wear mine short also and it drives me crazy when it gets a bit too long also. But our hairdressers are also open now again.

Wishing you both a great new week.

Edna B said...

How wonderful that you could get your hair cut. I really should do something with mine. Our weather has been up and down too. I guess it might just do what it did last year. Jump right in to summer. We seem to lose more and more of our spring and autumn every year. Maybe it's just me.

Your dinner sounds delicious. I make enough for two days whenever possible. Today I'm not cooking. Joe is cooking Easter dinner. Tomorrow Deanne will bring me a plateful of Easter dinner. Ham today, prime rib tomorrow. I love being spoiled!

I'm having problems with my laptop so if I don't show up for a day or two, that's why. I'm going to call Mr. Dave tomorrow to see if I can get an appointment with him. Ever since this last upgrade it's giving me all sorts of problems. Ah well.

You and Jan have a Happy and Blessed Easter. Love and hugs, Edna B.